What to watch for in UNC’s game against South Florida.
- This game features two of the best underclassman QB’s in the nation, UNC freshman T.J. Yates and USF sophomore and 2006 Big East Freshman of the Year, Matt Grothe. Yates is ninth in the nation in passing efficiency, and averages 10.2 yards per pass attempt. The USF defense, led by a great cornerback combination of Trae Williams and Mike Jenkins, who allow 4.4 yards per pass attempt. One of these stats will take a serious hit on Saturday. Meanwhile, Matt Grothe’s mobility as well as his arm will give the UNC defense fits all afternoon.
- If UNC’s run defense hasn’t made some serious adjustments, the Bulls’ freshman running back Mike Ford and junior Ben Williams are going to have a field day.
- USF is in the Top 25 for the first time in school history. Even though West Virginia looms next week, they probably won’t be looking too far ahead. They’ve been the underdog too many times to underestimate the Tar Heels.
- UNC is the first non-conference BCS team ever to play USF in Tampa. The big crowd in Raymond James Stadium will be pumped…assuming that there’s a big crowd.
Enough with this “analysis”. Here’s what really matters:
- This will be UNC’s first appearance on National TV This season. This is very good news for fans because, ladies, you haven’t lived until you’ve seen all 320 pounds of Marvin Austin in high definition.
- You think I’m kidding, don’t you Austin might be the prettiest thing you see all day. Have you met USF’s mascot, Rocky the Bull?
- In a desperate attempt to shore up their defense, Butch Davis has decided to take advantage of his 1/8 Cherokee heritage and perform a rain dance before the game starts. The plan will backfire when, instead of watching a good defense on Saturday, coach Davis will really “make it rain”. Which will surprise no one, because It’s my understanding that Tampa is the world capital of “precipitation”.
Enjoy the game and the live blog…GO HEELS!